Learning to Teach Mathematics in the Secondary School Pdf Book
Learning to Teach Mathematics in the Secondary School combines theory and practice to present a broad introduction to the opportunities and challenges of teaching mathematics in the secondary school classroom. This fourth edition has been fully updated to reflect the latest changes to the curriculum and research in the field, taking into account key developments in teacher training and education, including examinations and assessment.
Written specifically with the new and student teacher in mind, the book covers a wide range of issues related to the teaching of mathematics, such as:
- why we teach mathematics
- the place of mathematics in the National Curriculum
- planning, teaching and assessing for mathematics learning
- how to communicate mathematically
- using digital technology to advance mathematical learning
- working with students with special educational needs
- post-16 teaching
- the importance of professional development
- the affective dimension when learning mathematics, including motivation, confidence and resilience
Already a major text for many university teaching courses, this revised edition features a glossary of useful terms and carefully designed tasks to prompt critical reflection and support thinking and writing up to Masters Level. Issues of professional development are also examined, as well as a range of teaching approaches and styles from whole-class strategies to personalised learning, helping you to make the most of school experience, during your training and beyond.
Designed for use as a core textbook, Learning to Teach Mathematics in the Secondary School provides essential guidance and advice for all those who aspire to be effective mathematics teachers.